A friend of mine recently announced his engagement and a rather formal dinner party was held to celebrate the occasion. While the party was a wonderful mix of fine champagne and delicious food accompanied by a talented pianist, the invite did bring up a few problems of the sartorial kind. It simply stated black tie, which whilst appropriate for many occasions is also quite restrictive.
My friends and I wanted to acknowledge the fact that soon we would be losing one of our own, once married he would no longer be free to rampage around with us unmarried scoundrels. He was swapping late night drinks for weekends of choosing wallpaper or whatever it is married couples do…
We also wanted to avoid turning up looking like the groom-to-be’s 90-year-old great-grandfather, whilst a nice chap he is not one to ask for style tips.
Luckily I had the perfect solution…cufflinks!
At the engagement party we presented my pal with these silver drinking monkey cufflinks engraved with the date and his initials. The six of us also had matching cufflinks of our own! The plan is to wear the cufflinks to the stag party and again at the wedding in the hope that they serve as a reminder to the groom of his life before marriage (the drinking!) and also to remind him of all of the stages of his wedding, which I’m sure will be the best time of his life.
If you are attending a black tie event here are some tips to bear in mind:
- Always wear a bow tie with your dinner jacket! This is one of the few occasions where a bow tie is actually called for so make the most of it.
- Where possible opt for a double-breasted tuxedo to look more refined than wearing a single breasted.
- Always wear black shoes and make sure they are polished!
- The devil is in the detail so remember to include a pocket square in your ensemble.
- Add the finishing touches with your signature cufflinks, this is where you have the freedom to express your individual tastes. If you are a keen golfer why not choose a pair of golf ball cufflinks? Or perhaps you’re dressing to impress with these white gold onyx & diamond cuff links.